Thursday, February 02, 2006

New GOP Leader Boehner

With the heir apparent Blunt blocked from victory on the first round, most of challenger Shadegg's votes went to Boehner on the second round to clinch the job.

It's a departure from business as usual in the House.

From Hugh Hewitt.com:

Here is Hugh's interview with Boehner from mid-January:

On Abramoff:

HH: Let's start with the most important issue, which is Abramoff, in my view. Can you discuss for us what, any connections you might have with Jack Abramoff?

JB: I've never had any dealings with him. I never took any campaign contributions from him. And I believe I met him one time at an event for Senator Don Nichols.

HH: Were you ever entertained at any of his skyboxes?

JB: No.

HH: And did you have signature privileges at his restaurant Signatures?

JB: No, I did not.

HH: Do you know anyone who did?

JB: Not personally, no.

On earmarks and transparency:

HH: Okay, well, that's very important. Let's get to the policy stuff. Mark Tapscott, whose my colleague in blogging over at the Heritage Foundation, has asked that people ask any candidate for the leadership, will you introduce and support a proposal to require all earmarks be identified by the name of the requesting member?

JB: I would. I've never asked for an earmark in the fifteen years I've been in the Congress, not in a transportation bill, not in an appropriation bill. I told my constituents in 1990 that if they thought my job was to come to Washington, and rob the federal treasury on their behalf, they were voting for the wrong guy.

HH: Interesting. How about the idea of posting proposed legislation 72 hours prior to a vote on the internet, so that the American public can see what's in there.

JB: I think that's a good goal. Sometimes it's not practical, given the schedule that we have. But there ought to be at least...we ought to shoot for 72 hours, and make sure everybody knows what's in there. But there ought to be a minimum requirement of 24 hours on an emergency basis.

On McCain-Feingold:

HH: (laughing) Okay, let's turn to McCain-Feingold, Congressman. It restricts political speech 60 days prior to an election. Do you think that ought to be removed?

JB: I think...I voted against McCain-Feingold. We ought to blow the whole bill up. And I mean, campaign contributions are political speech. And what we have done with McCain-Feingold is move a lot of regulated money out of being regulated, to these 527's. And the whole practice is insidious.

From Fox News:

"I have no regrets about the race," Shadegg of Arizona said. "I think we caused the debate to change and the race went forward."

Shadegg said he would continue to push for lobbying reform legislation, an issue he focused on during his campaign and has received considerable attention since Washington lobbyist Jack Abramoff pleaded guilty in federal court in exchange for helping prosecutors pin congressional members for taking contributions in exchange for favorable votes relating to Abramoff's clients.

"I think this election shows that we are, in fact, listening and we did respond," Shadegg said.



1 comment:

JO said...

Anne - Congrats on the new blog!!