Thursday, February 23, 2006

Veritas Gutted

I heard Larry Summers speak at my 25th reunion. He was just taking over the reins at Harvard, and though I'm on the other side of the political divide, I liked what I heard, then and since. I especially appreciated his honesty. His resignation, I think, is a step back for Harvard. Via RCP, Thomas Sowell:

Despite incessant repetition of the word "diversity" in academe, the tragic fact is that the academic world is one of the most intolerant places in America when it comes to diversity of ideas. Even the president of Harvard dare not step out of line.

Parents pay the kind of money on which whole families could live, in order to have their children "educated" at elite academic institutions, hearing only one side of a whole range of issues -- race and sex being just two.

No comments: