Tuesday, August 29, 2006

South Park Libertarians

John Tierney writes that South Park Republicans are no more. The less-government libertarians are disaffected and are rooting for gridlock. If I weren't a social conservative on abortion, I'd be with them. If I weren't convinced the war against the Islamofascists is the central struggle of our time, I'd be with them. I do still have a couple of Reason coffee mugs in my cupboard.

I don't understand, though, how libertarians can be isolationist. It won't work, especially in this global era. And it is both a moral failure and a failure of imagination to ignore the threat to our liberties that these terrorists pose.

Ok, Ok, these guys like cartoons, and their cartoonish view of the world is much preferable to that of the Dems. Perhaps this is how they make their contribution.

No comments: