Thursday, January 25, 2007

Tipples and Tributes

I wondered why WFMT was playing Scottish music this morning.

Well, most of my folk came from Ireland, but one or two hailed from Scotland (or possibly beyond, as there's some Viking blonde sprinkled through the generations). In any event, today is the 248th anniversary of the birth of the bard Robert Burns. And it's an occasion to celebrate in the dark of winter.

It's Burns Night, where the tipples and tributes flow. The closest I've gotten to haggis is my mom's best friend's Scottish terrier who bore the name, but tonight would be the night to try it I imagine. (Pix of a fictional one next to a real one.)

And here's a little music set to Burns' Tippie Dunbar.

The Scots are working on a museum of the birthplace of Robert Burns, in time for his 250th anniversary in two years. And birth and death certificates, some of which go back 450 years, are now online for geneological searches at ScotlandsPeople.gov.uk. (may have to try when it's less busy.)

UPDATE: And in related news, a Scottish girl terrier angles for a date with First Dog, Barney. (My little spaniel started barking in response to the video:), my old beagle just slept on thankfully.) Brought to us by Diane of ResPublica. Kenzie, sleepless in Seattle.

No comments: