Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Thanks from Fr. John

(A note with thanks to some of the contributors to the ComPadres.org from Father John Barkemeyer, sent to me by my friend who regularly organizes donations.)

A little ComPadres story. I was this afternoon I was walking down of of the main roads of the Camp. Off to the side I see about 25 Marines sleeping in the dirt. I walked over to kid the couple that were awake about these guys sleeping on the job. They said the group had just gotten in from one of the outposts. They get to come on one day a month to take a shower and shop at the PX. Of course I felt like heel ribbing them knowing this was their "day off." I happened to have a bunch of PX gift certificates on me (courtesy as you know of the ComPadres). I passed them out and they acted like they won the lottery. I also asked what the living conditions were at their outpost, typically abysmal as you can imagine. I asked how they relax after a shift. They said there really isn't much for them to do so I told them I just may be able to hook them up with a little video entertainment! Of course they went out of their minds with the idea they could play each other with the Xbox Halo II game. It was really cute.

I'm going to divert one of the Xboxes that has been sent my way to them. They recently had one of their guys killed on the rooftop of their outpost so they could use a break. Anyway, I included a picture of these guys. Just thought you'd like to see who's benefitting from what you are doing. From them and me to you, THANKS! John

No comments: