Friday, June 01, 2007

Beatles as Baroque

I remember watching the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show and singing (with my 10 year old girlfriends) "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" on the school playground at the top of our lungs. I've always liked Baroque music, to sing and to work by (except organ), but I never thought the two music genres would intersect. McGill professor Daniel J. Levitin, WaPo:
The timelessness of such melodies was brought home to me by Les Boréades, a Quebec group that has recorded Beatles music on baroque instruments. The instruments give the sense that you're hearing Bach or Vivaldi, and for moments it's possible to forget that you're listening to Beatles songs. We're so used to hearing Beatles songs that for many of us they no longer hold any surprises. But when they're stripped of their '60s production and the personal and social associations we have with them, you can hear the intricate and beautiful interplay of rhythm, harmony and melody.
Beatles as Baroque. Or just the Beatles, I'll always love those songs.

No comments: