Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Harsh Sharia

A British teacher in Sudan is arrested and may face 40 lashes over the choice of children in her class to name a teddy bear Mohammed. SkyNews:
Gillian Gibbons, 54, from Liverpool, was arrested on suspicion of blasphemy on Sunday.

Ms Gibbons allowed her class of seven-year-olds at the Unity High School in Khartoum to name a teddy bear Mohammed as part of a lesson about animals' habitats. [snip]

There is no specific, or explicit ban in the Koran on images of Allah or the Prophet Mohammed - be they carved, painted or drawn.

However, chapter 42, verse 11 of the Koran does say: "[Allah is] the originator of the heavens and the earth... [there is] nothing like a likeness of Him."

The fear is that images could give rise to idolatry but in this case the response in Sudan, which has been governed by strict Islamic Sharia law since 1983, has been unusually harsh, said Hassan Aberdeen, a researcher at the Oxford Centre for Islamic Studies.

And in yet another unusually harsh application of Sharia, a victim of gang rape, sentenced to 90 lashes for being in a car with an unrelated male, had her sentenced upped to 200 lashes. ABC interview:

But the General Court of Qatif increased the punishment to 200 lashes and six months in jail after she took her case to the press. Authorities deemed it an "attempt to aggravate and influence the judiciary through the media," according to Saudi Arabia's English-language newspaper Arab News. [snip]

"I [was] 19 years old. I had a relationship with someone on the phone. We were both 16. I had never seen him before. I just knew his voice. He started to threaten me, and I got afraid. He threatened to tell my family about the relationship. Because of the threats and fear, I agreed to give him a photo of myself," she recounted.

"A few months [later], I asked him for the photo back but he refused. I had gotten married to another man. He said, 'I'll give you the photo on the condition that you come out with me in my car.' I told him we could meet at a souk [market[ near my neighborhood city plaza in Qatif.

"He started to drive me home. …We were 15 minutes from my house. I told him that I was afraid and that he should speed up. We were about to turn the corner to my house when they [another car] stopped right in front of our car. Two people got out of their car and stood on either side of our car. They man on my side had a knife. They tried to open our door. I told the individual with me not to open the door, but he did. He let them come in. I screamed.

Rape and systematic abuse, sanctioned by Sharia. Her brother tried to kill her. His honor was at stake of course. The court confiscated the law license of her attorney, a man noted for taking on human rights cases. Only the governor or Saudi king can pardon her. Oh, the Supreme Judiciary Council will review the sentence. According to the Ministry of Justice.

P.S. Saudi foreign minister's comment on the sentence, "These things happen".

No comments: