Thursday, May 07, 2009

McGovern Opposes EFCA

Liberal icon former Sen. George McGovern on the card check legislation--the Employee Free Choice Act is anything but.

It will take away workers' secret ballot and wreck small businesses:

Many labor contracts can run over 100 pages with their requirements of each party. Compulsory arbitration is, in one sense, government dictating to employees what they will win or lose in the deal, with no opportunity to approve the "agreement." Why should employees pay union dues to get such a contract?

My perspective on the so-called Employee Free Choice Act is informed by life experience. After leaving the Senate in 1981, I spent some time running a hotel. It was an eye-opening introduction to something most business operators are all-too familiar with -- the difficulty of controlling costs and setting prices in a weak economy. Despite my trust in government, I would have been alarmed by an outsider taking control of basic management decisions that determine success or failure in a business where I had invested my life savings.

This legislation is a big job-killer at a time when we need to create jobs.

No comments: