Thursday, December 10, 2009

Wrap it Up!


Winter seems earlier this year, grinch-like weather could kill the Christmas spirit, but I take it as an excuse to sip some tea or chocolate and plot how to rekindle my holiday feeling.

As my kids have become young adults my to-do lists have evolved into their wish-lists, thankfully mostly online, but there are limits to the merry, merry in the pocketbook and my patience.

I look to my mom as master strategist, having had seven to gift (and occupy during winter break). Well, usually we were encouraged to skate, sled or ski--but for those really cold days, she planned ahead. Her winning formula for each was something to read, something fun and something cozy. Given I have an empty nest now that still seems cluttered with stuff, my idea is something paperless, something small, and something edible. I am not so much worried about my carbon footprint but with tripping over things left behind that still tug at the heart--whether it's mine or theirs I...haven't decided. So, I work with it. At least try not to let the pile grow. (Champagne and chocolate are always welcome for the times I stash my laptop away, and for the times I blog too:)

As for my spouse, we long ago achieved a truce for holidays--he cooks, I bake. He makes the massive grocery list, I shop for it. I get the pies and cookies out of the way the days before and he has the kitchen to himself on the day, along with a brave daughter as sous-chef. My son walks the dog away from unauthorized kitchen sorties, and has taken to handling the clean-up.

We have had a near disaster or two. One year our beagle set the kitchen on fire a little over a week before Christmas--he was after brownies cooling on the stove and climbed up the oven door, firing up the burners on the way. I had just rushed out to do an errand and rushed back in to find Rascal unharmed but the microwave melted onto the stovetop and the house filled with smoke. The firemen were amused once they made sure it hadn't spread. Rascal. I did get a new stove and rudimentary repairs in time for Christmas but for a while there we thought we might have to smoke a turkey on the Weber out in the snow. Neighbors thinking of remodeling asked me to send Rascal over. In the spring.

So until then, time for some hot chocolate. As for Christmas-- the wrapping paper and ribbons are there for everyone, on the dining room table.

No comments: