Wednesday, February 10, 2010

A small earthquake hit Chicago

4.3. And Blago's back in court today. Well, I didn't notice the quake. When I woke up and heard about it I checked to see if the pictures were crooked but I couldn't tell. Maybe I thought it was a plow rumbling by.

The plows are out this morning. And I hate to tell you this East Coast but we just got some significant snow and it's headed your way.

P.S:
U.S. Geological Survey geophysicist Amy Vaughn said the cause of the earthquake will be hard to determine, since there is no clearly delineated fault line in the area.

The fault where the earthquake occurred is "potentially connected" to the Wabash fault zone, a northern extension of the New Madrid fault.

But, Vaughn said, "This is not a region where we expect to have this."

In 1811 and 1812, the New Madrid fault produced a series of earthquakes estimated at magnitude 7.0 or greater.

The Wabash fault zone generated a magnitude 5.0 quake in 2002 and a 5.1 in 1987.

In 1990, scientist Iben Browning said the New Madrid fault line was due for a catastrophic earthquake, but that never happened.
The science is unsettled.

No comments: