Monday, March 01, 2010

Illinois Make Your Own Budget Game


We are talking billions, not millions. The Tribune gives us their no tax-hike option. The Illinois Policy Institute has had theirs up for some time. Our Democrat Gov. Quinn, who wants to raise taxes, is paying lip service to an attempt to find substantive cuts first. Lots of public comments on the Illinois.gov/budget website. My friend Mary emailed me:
Yes, I too got caught up in the "make your own budget" game. I started reading the comments, and then made a few of my own. Some academic could make a great article from the "issues" mentioned, although I do believe that those from "George Orwell" are likely fraudulent.
My blogger friend Diane, Respublica here. The Quincy News found Sick and Tired. Here's one this morning:
Respectfully, I would suggest a 5-year moratorium on DNR Grants. To give an example: Presently, there is a $200,000 grant request pending from the Lena Business and Professional Association for a train depot in Lena. Normally, I would support this, but there is currently NO passenger rail service anywhere near Lena, and no proposed service in the near future! The DNR Grant program has become a drain on the State Budget, with little or no possibility of job creation or revenue for the State. I believe that factions within Stephenson County, including the Lena Community Park District, The Village of Lena, and Stephenson County have seriously abused the Grant program.
It's no game, Governor Quinn. Get serious. Take this opportunity before the fall election to genuinely address the public union pension piggishness and the endemic corruption in the budget process that has driven Illinois to its knees.

P.S. Is Gov. Quinn prioritizing cats and dogs over kids? Grandstanding for sure.

More. Democratic States in Deepest Fiscal Holes - Neil Weinberg, Forbes

Related post: Medium Speed Rail: Costly Cubs-Cardinals Express

No comments: