The following is a Crime Alert from the Wilmette Police Department. For past Alerts, please visit our website at: www.wilmette.com/police/. THANK YOU
# Diversionary Residential Burglary
# Theft of Packages
Diversionary Residential Burglary
On Monday, December 13th at 3:00 PM, a diversionary residential burglary occurred in the 2700 block of Orchard Lane (1 block south and 1 block west of Lake & Locust). The residents related that several males came to their home and claimed to be with the village. They said that they were checking for contaminated water. Two of the unknown males diverted the attention of both occupants while the other two males took jewelry, checks and cash.
There was no description of a vehicle. The offenders were described as possibly Hispanic or Eastern European. They were further described as below. The first subject identified himself as "Tony".
1. Male; 5'9" tall, 250 lbs, 45 years old; dark hair; wearing dark colored jacket, jeans, gloves & Chicago Bears baseball hat;
2. Male, 5'5" tall, 170 lbs, 25 years old, wearing dark colored jacket, jeans and Chicago Bears baseball hat;
3. Male, 5'6", 175 lbs, 25 years old, dark hair; unknown clothing
4. Male, 5'6", 170 lbs, 25 years old, dark hair, wearing dark clothing
Theft of Packages
On December 10th and 11th, the Wilmette Police Department took reports package thefts and mail from a residence in the 1000 block of Oakwood and a residence in the 800 block of Oakwood (east of Green Bay and block south of Linden) The thefts occurred between Monday, 12/6 and Thursday 12/9. Three thefts were recently delivered UPS packages that were left on the resident's porch. One was a theft of a credit card from mail box. There is no description of the offender(s).
If you are expecting a delivery of a package, the Wilmette Police Department recommends that you take the following actions to prevent a theft:
* Arrange for the delivery to be made when someone is home.
* If no one can be home, arrange for the delivery to be left with a neighbor who is home or have a neighbor pick it up.
* Arrange to pick up the package at the company's distribution center.
* If none of these options work, set up a place where a package can be left but is not in view of the public.