Wednesday, February 13, 2008

The Resilience of McCain

Yesterday I saw Barack prancing about the stage somewhere East, talking about how tough he was, ending the day in the old hippie mecca of Madison. John McCain gave him a mention at the end of his speech last night after cresting the Potomac. The Politico:
As I have done my entire career, I will make my case to every American who will listen. I will not confine myself to the comfort of speaking only to those who agree with me. I will make my case to all the people. I will listen to those who disagree. I will attempt to persuade them. I will debate. And I will learn from them. But I will fight every moment of every day for what I believe is right for t his country, and I will not yield.

And, my friends, I promise you, I am fired up and ready to go.
I think I liked this earlier part just as much, if not more:

The work we face in our time is great, but our opportunities greater still. In a time of war, and the terrible sacrifices it entails, the promise of a better future is not always clear. But I promise you, my friends, we face no enemy, no matter how cruel; and no challenge, no matter how daunting, greater than the courage, patriotism and determination of Americans. We are the makers of history, not its victims.

Hope, my friends, is a powerful thing. I can attest to that better than many, for I have seen men’s hopes tested in hard and cruel ways that few will ever experience. And I stood astonished at the resilience of their hope in the darkest of hours because it did not reside in an exaggerated belief in their individual strength, but in the support of their comrades, and their faith in their country. My hope for our country resides in my faith in the American character, the character which proudly defends the right to think and do for ourselves, but perceives self-interest in accord with a kinship of ideals, which, when called upon, Americans will defend with their very lives.

To encourage a country with only rhetoric rather than sound and proven ideas that trust in the strength and courage of free people is not a promise of hope. It is a platitude.

Lead on, John McCain.

UPDATE: The Politico on the McCain campaign:

Campaign manager Rick Davis penned a memo, ostensibly to his staff but meant for public and Huckabee campaign consumption.

“The results from tonight’s primary elections in Virginia, Maryland and Washington, DC, make it mathematically impossible for Governor Huckabee to secure the Republican nomination for president,” Davis wrote in the document, first obtained by Politico. “He now needs 950 delegates to secure the required 1,191. But in the remaining contests there are only 774 delegates available. He would need to win 123% of remaining delegates.”

Huckabee, however, said he’s staying in the race.
The Huckster, hoping for divine intervention. Not admirable at all.

P.S. Chris Muir cartoon:)

Related posts: Obama Responds on Che Flag, Name an Obama Accomplishment, Obama-Che, Obama's VERY HIGH Tax Plan, Dry Scholars for Defeat

No comments: