Sunday, March 02, 2008

Brooks on Buckley

One of my conservative friends sent me this wonderful picture she ran across. And another mentioned this tribute by David Brooks, which included this great anecdote with local ties:

The piece went on in this way. I noted that his ability to turn water into wine added to his popularity at prep school. I described his college memoirs: “God and Me at Yale,” “God and Me at Home” and “God and Me at the Movies.” I recounted that after college he had founded two magazines, one called The National Buckley and the other called The Buckley Review, which merged to form The Buckley Buckley.

I wrote that his hobbies included extended bouts of name-dropping and going into rooms to make everyone else feel inferior.

Buckley came to the University of Chicago, delivered a lecture and said: “David Brooks, if you’re in the audience, I’d like to offer you a job.”

I wish I had been there. And I wish Bill Buckley were still here. God Bless.

No comments: