Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Obama and the Big L

That big L for LIBERAL keeps following Barack Obama around. Note how he stuttered in his recent interview with Maria Bartiromo:
BARTIROMO: Why raise taxes at all in an economic slowdown? Isn't that going to put a further strain on people?

Sen. OBAMA: Well, look, there's no doubt that anything I do is going to be premised on what the economic situation is when I take office. I'm going to be sworn in in January, we don't know what the economy's going to look like at that point. And, you know, the thing you can--you can be assured of is that I'm not going to making these decisions based on ideology. I'm not a dogmatist. I know that some, you know, my opponents to the right would like to paint me as this wooly-eyed, you know, liberal or wild-eyed...

BARTIROMO: You're not a liberal?

Sen. OBAMA: The--but my attitude is that I believe in the market, I believe in entrepreneurship, I believe in opportunity, I believe in capitalism and I want to do what works. But what I want to make sure of is it works for all America and not just a small sliver of America. And if it turns out--if somebody can make a persuasive argument to me that, you know what, what we need at this juncture, at this particular point in time is a different set of policies than some of the ones that I've proposed, I'm always going to listen to people. Because I think one of the problems, in fact, with the Bush administration has been its rigidness when it comes to economic policy. I mean, you ask them any question, they'll say tax cuts. It doesn't matter what the problem is, if it's, you know, our trade deficit: tax cuts. If it's, you know, slowdown in manufacturing: tax cuts. You know, at a certain point, you know, if you've only got one arrow in the quiver, then you're going to have problems.
Well, Barack Obama has lots of liberal arrows in his tax and spend quiver and the American people are the target. He is documented as being the most liberal in the US Senate, was most liberal in the Illinois legislature, which is saying something, and now Peter Wehner gives us a tally of his Leftie positions and sums up:
It's no wonder that Mr. Obama has been endorsed by Moveon.org – one of the most radical groups within the liberal universe.
Adding to Mr. Obama's problems is his close association with Rev. Jeremiah Wright Jr., whose anti-American rantings are the kind of thing routinely said by the far left.[snip]

Since Mr. Obama's record reveals him to be a doctrinaire liberal, he dismisses ideological labels as simplistic, misleading and outmoded.
The Big O is a Big L. We're going to put that L on your lapel where you don't wear a flag pin Barack. Simple as that.

UPDATE: Michael Gerson, Obama's Abortion Extremism, an important issue in a conservative Dem leaning state like Pennsylvania. Obama opposes even partial birth abortion, and Gerson notes this:
Recent polls have shown that young people are more likely to support abortion restrictions than their elders.
Presumably the Roe Effect, but also possibly because we can see into the womb now. (This issue may eventually hurt him with the youthful voters he's trying to attract.) Obama looking beyond to the general election battle with McCain, ignoring Hillary in a state where he's trailing, and drawing this response from the McCain camp:

McCain spokesman Tucker Bounds said that given the long history of peacetime U.S. bases overseas, Obama's remarks show his "complete lack of preparedness to be commander in chief."

"His attempt to paint McCain's position as something else is nothing but the disingenuous, old-style politics that he claims to reject," Bounds said.

Previous posts: The Audacity of Bowling,Not Just the Rich, Multiculturally Offensive, Killing Fields, Feeling the Heat

No comments: