Monday, July 28, 2008

Cindy in Rwanda

Cindy McCain in the news. WSJ: "Rwanda's Women Lead the Way":

I have recently returned from Rwanda. I was last there in 1994, at the height of the genocide that claimed the lives of more than 800,000 Rwandans. The memories of what I saw haunt me still.

I wasn't sure what to expect all these years later, but I found a country that has found in its deep scars the will to move on and rebuild a civil society. And the renaissance is being led by women.

Women are at the forefront of the physical, emotional and spiritual healing that is moving Rwandan society forward.

41% of Rwandan businesses are owned by women. (And if you educate a girl or mother, you educate a society.)

Educated in special needs, McCain is a can-do person herself, expanding her family business, adopting a needy child, and establishing an organization-- taking personal risk to bring medical care to war-torn parts of the world.

Related post: Cindy Compares Well

No comments: